The Lockwood-Edler-Wood Family

The Woods History



The earliest established Wood ancestor to date is Charles Wood, born c.1855, who was originally described in the 1881 Census as being born in an unknown area of Middlesex. At that time most of London north of the River Thames, excluding the City itself, was classified as being within that county. However, in the 1891 Census his birthplace had been  recorded as being in Wapping, London E.


Charles Wood, a barge lighterman, was married to Annie Roach, born c.1859 with whom he lived at 30 Great Hermitage Street, Wapping when their eldest son, Thomas Charles Wood, was born there on 25 May 1877. Annie was the daughter of Charles Roach, born c.1811 and Mary ~~~, born c.1821, who had moved to England from Ireland. At the time of the 1881 Census, Charles Wood was described as 26 years old and living at 175 Abbey Street, Bermondsey, on the other side of the Thames. Living with him in Abbey Street were Annie, son Thomas Charles, and new daughter Margaret M Wood.



Modern day map of Wapping area which Great Hermitage Street, home to Charles Wood and Thomas Charles Wood in 1877,  now appears under its current name Hermitage Wall.

Modern day map of Bermondsey highlighting Abbey Street in which Charles and Annie Wood lived with their family at the time of the 1881 Census.

[Maps courtesy of LondonTown,com]



Ten years later, the 1891 Census credits Charles Wood with living at 53 Wolseley Building, Bermondsey. With him at this address were Annie, Thomas Charles, other sons Charles J Wood and James D Wood, and a daughter, Catherine C Wood. The absence of Margaret M Wood suggests she died in the intervening period. There is a death notice for a Margaret Mary Wood, aged one year, who died in Southwark in the spring of 1982. No 1901 Census record appears to exist for Charles Wood who died in 1906.


Thomas Charles Wood moved back to Wapping and married Charlotte Edler, eldest daughter of Edward and Carrie Edler, with whom he reputedly had 17 children. Only seven survived into adulthood - Alfred Wood (b. cir 1904), Thomas Wood (1905), Katherine Wood (1907), Ann Norah Wood (1918), Charles Wood (1921), Edward Wood (cir 1923) and Margaret Hannah Wood (1924). The unaccounted children are presumed to have been born following Katherine in 1907 and preceding Ann in 1918. Baptism records at St Peter's in Wapping have revealed that Thomas and Charlotte had a son, George, born 14 June 1911 (baptised 26 July 1911), and a daughter Mary Ann, born 13 February 1916 (baptised 14 March 1916). The England and Wales Birth Marriage and Death records also list the couple as having had another son, Edward, registered in July 1911. From these documents, it would appear that George and Edward were twins, born 14 June 1911, and that only George survived to be baptised but died during infancy. Edward's death was recorded in the July-September quarter of 1911. [NOTE: Twelve years after  Edward's death, Thomas and Charlotte gave this same name to a subsequent son born cir 1924.


At one time, most of the family lived in Jackman House in Wapping, some of its members retaining links with the block until the 1980s.


Ronny Roberts 2006

View from Watts Street, Wapping facing directly on to Jackman House. Obscured by the pillar to the left of the gate is No.45 - home to Thomas Charles Lockwood and his family. [Picture  taken c1932 by the Commercial Gas Company, producers of The Copartnership Herald in which it was published.]

Above is close-up section of Jackman House of the present day. Bottom three windows on right belong to the flat once occupied by Thomas Charles Wood. Refurbishment of building has meant that No.45 is now on the second floor and no longer at ground level.


Ronny Roberts 2006

The flat that was once numbered 45 Jackman House, home to Thomas Charles Wood. The newly refurbished building now has a different numberng system with 45 no longer on the ground floor. 

View of Jackman House from Old Gravel Lane, Wapping. Highlighted in red is the flat occupied by Thomas Wood (son of Thomas Charles Wood) and his wife Hannah Elizabeth Hobbs. 


Left: Vintage Wapping street


Above: An early St Peter's Procession in which several members of the Wood family have taken part


Right: Gravel Lane, Wapping


Two contrasting views of Wapping Underground station as it looked c1880 when Charles Wood settled in the area, and 100 years later when the last remaining Wood family members were moving on.

Picture courtesy of

Two contrasting images of The Old Pie And Mash Shop at 91Watney Street, London E1 opposite Shadwell Undeground Station. Originally opened by the Gover Family, the shop was first run by "Old Man" Gover, and then by his son, Freddie Gover. An invaluable member of the team was Ann Lockwood (née Wood) who, during 40 years service to the pie 'n' mash,  remained with the Govers and continued  working at the shop through its change of ownership and subsequent name switch to Peter's Pie and Mash Shop.


Today, there are no immediate members of the Wood Family living in Wapping. Most are now either living further east and in Essex, with others in Middlesex and Spain.